Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 2 - Heartbreak #6742

Well, our first hired caregiver spent the night with us last night... "JOY" was her name. However, Mom let me know for certain this morning that "JOY" was NOT aptly named! She apparently did not possess that crucial special something that is needed in this situation. My heart broke in two to think that Mom had an unpleasant night in her care, but I guess it's all a learning process. Finding the right person to give Mom the right care is going to be pretty tricky. (So, note to all you local NJ folks... come visit often!) It's just going to be me for a while till we find the right live-in person. It's too arduous to think of continuing to interview and teach and train people who are only going to be here for 12 hours. Anyway, I spoke this morning to "MERCY" (what's with these names?) who definitely left me with a warmer feeling overall... she's available to live-in starting on Monday... she just wanted to know if she could cook her African food in our home! I initially thought "of course, there's no problem with that"... and was then informed that that includes hooves and tails and tongues and all kinds of animal parts that my kitchen is not accustomed to! We'll see. At least I was able to sleep myself last night and am able to attend to Mom better myself today.

Funny thing... one of the things that Mom needs frequently is her feet spread apart. If she's lying in the bed, her legs tend to fall together and that bothers her. Practially every one of the health professionals who visited us yesterday recommended a wedge or a pillow to be placed between her legs to keep them comfortable apart. Mom doesn't want anything like that since she can't adjust it herself, she doesn't want anything extra touching her. HOWEVER, we decided this morning that my little orange kitty makes for a perfect wedge, doesn't bother her and actually brings a smile to her face! At one point when I was holding him near her, he rubbed his face up against her badly contracted hand and she let out a little laugh. Isn't that such a wonderful feeling when animals come and rub against you like that for affection? He has made himself quite comfortable on her blanket positioned between her lower legs and has been lying there a while. She does love the animals so much and is looking forward to Annie coming this weekend with her two doggies.

That's about it for now. Busy looking online for an appropriate recliner chair that Mom can sit in comfortably so I can offer her something better than this hospital bed. Giovanna, the home health aide from the hospice agency is coming at 1pm to help with a sponge bath. Bought a special tray to hook onto the back of the bed so we can give Mom's hair a wash. More later.

No comments: