Monday, November 24, 2008

Heavy Hearts


Gosh... I've had to write and rewrite this entry a few times already! It's just a particularly blue day and I seem to be having trouble sugar-coating it! So, having said just that... everything is going OK. This is a picture of me and Mom during her surprise 60th birthday week on Sullivan's Island. What a great time that was... we all totally surprised her with a party, including her best friends, and all of our staying for a whole week... Dave even arranged with her job for her to be off for the week. It was a great house right on the beach with a pool... good time. Today was a bit of a warmer day and we were able to get out and have a good walk in the new wheelchair without too many layers on. Mom is seeming a bit sleepier these last few days but was able to be up in her chair most of the day today. Adam, Ladylove and her son, Chase came up for the day yesterday, as well as Mom's good friend from childhood, Renee, and her daughter, Rebecca. Renee is awlays a bit of sunshine... she's easy to be around and likes to laugh and be happy. Adam gave a lift into the shower so Mom got a proper washin'. We all enjoyed yet another beautiful meal from my good friend, Irm. I told her she's my casserole-rock-star!! (Irm, I just can't thank you enough... you'll never know how much I appreciate these meals at this time.)

I know I've said this before, but I continue to be thankful for Mercy being in our lives at this time. The better I get to know her, but more I appreciate her open and caring heart. She is really very intuitive about Mom and I don't ever get the sense that she thinks about this as a "job". She has a very genuine and open nature about her that often helps to create the most amazing groundwork for beautiful conversation among the 3 of us. Tonight she was talking about things she can tell about Mom even though Mom can't talk to her... and she's often right-on... with her comments about Mom's strength and easy-going spirit... tonight she lay the groundwork for me to be able to tell Mom how many beautiful gifts she has given to me. I'm very glad to have had the chance to tell her that... it's been on my mind, wanting to tell her how many gifts she's given and how very precious they are to me. I was able to tell her through talking to Mercy, which helped it to not be a sad or sappy conversation, but somehow joyful and loving. I think it must be helping to have her be able to be a mediator of sorts... helping us to say things that maybe we'd never get to. I don't know if that all even makes any sense... anyway, I'm just trying to say that we're lucky to have her with us. She's very conscientious and intuitive and has good ideas about Mom's care.

So we're readying for the holiday... Mary and my Dad are coming tomorrow night and staying through Friday, Annie is arriving mid-afternoon on Wednesday and staying till Sunday. Since the dining room has been converted into Mom's bedroom, we've decided to set up a table in our family room and have our Thanksgiving dinner there. Friday night, Phil and the girls and I will go to Phil's sister's for a post-turkey day dinner.

Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving season... give many thanks, and don't forget to say the important things to the people you love.

No comments: